10.26.2008

Left Behind, Alone in the back Mountains of Mexico...

This is an addendum by James Moncrief, or uncle Jimmy. It is Sunday and I just arose from a nap after eating and drinking out by the pool. But, last Friday was a little different.

Three hours from the end of the first days event, Willet and I were driving in the chase truck when it started behaving badly. The mountain road was unbelievable. Very short sight distances, one turn after another, cliffs, oncoming busses and double tanker trucks in a hurry. Each hill we were going slower and slower until it would stop, only to be re-fired and slowly pull away. During this hour or two of agony, I went through the five stages of automotive grief.

1) DESERVE: Come on, don´t do this to me. I don´t deserve this. I am a good guy. I have been living well and helping people. I should have some good karma.

2) BARGAINING: You´re a good truck. You know what? Just get me over this mountain and I will get you a nice bit tuneup and detailing. The works!

3) THREATING: You S.O.B truck. You get back on your feet and move. You did it before you know your going to do it again so MOVE. If you don´t move now you P.O.S. I might just push you off this cliff!

4) PLEADING: Please GOD…..Help me get this truck to MOVE! This is a BAD turn to stop on.

5) ACCEPTANCE: Willet………We have to find a place to abandon ship.

Willet and I now know what the wounded wildebeast feels like when he can no longer keep up with the herd. Dark and alone, waiting for the lion pride to arrive.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Jim, this sounds like something Bill would say! Keep going! Enjoying following the adventure and we'll see Kip and the car back in the regular life in CT soon. Wish we were there; as Bill said, "livin the dream!"
WT

Anonymous said...

Hello Mike!!

I'm Rafael MagariƱo, from Tuxtla do you rememberme? i'm not sure but did you quit the race? i was reading something about the clutch's problems!!

i hope James and you still on the race, i will up load a video that i take from the first stage, please mail me at magaro_91@yahoo.com.mx, thank you and i wish you complete the race if you still in, if not your idea to geting better the enviroment let me a sign to think about conserve all natural resources!